The Suitcase Kid

We have been reading The Suitcase Kid by Jacqueline Wilson as our class novel.

This week we have been fining evidence in a text to support our answers.

How do you think Andi is feeling in the picture below?

What evidence can you find in the text to support your answer?

How do you think she is feeling about leaving Mulberry Cottage?

Andi

When my parents split up they didn’t know what to do with me. My mum wanted to go and live with her. My dad wanted me to go and live with him. I didn’t want to go and live at my mum’s new place or my dad’s new place. I wanted to stay living in our old place, Mulberry Cottage, the three of us together. Four, counting my pet Sylvanian Family spotted rabbit Radish.

There were all these arguments about who would get custody of me. I thought they were talking about custard at first. I hate custard because you can never tell when there’s going to be a lump and it sticks in your throat and makes you shudder.

My mum got mad and my dad got mad and I got mad too. I felt I was being split up. Half of me wanted to side with Mum. Half of me wanted to side with Dad. It was much easier for Radish. She just sided with me. She lives in my pocket so there’s never been any hassle over who gets custody of her.

We had to go for family counselling. It seemed a bit daft because my mum and dad didn’t want to be a family any more. This lady chatted to me. She was trying to be ever so casual but I know she was trying to suss thing out. She has some little dolls in her office, a mummy doll and a daddy doll and a whole set of children dolls in different sizes. She wanted me to play with them. I poked the mummy doll and the daddy doll in the stomachs and said I didn’t like playing with silly old dolls.

But this lady saw me fiddling about in my pocket and she got a glimpse of Radish. I like to hold her tight when I’m feeling funny.

“Oh, what a dear little toy. Do let me have a look,” she said, in that silly voice grownups always use when they’re trying to get you to like them.

“She not a toy, she’s a mascot,” I said. I didn’t want to show her Radish at all. She’s mine and she’s private. But I had to let this lady paw her about and undo her frock and turn her upside down in a very rude sort of way.

“What’s Bunny’s name?” she asked.

You’d have thought I was two years old, not ten. I just shrugged and shook my head.

“That’s Radish,” said Mum. “Andrea’s had her for years and years. She’s a very important member of our family.”

“Actually, I bought Radish for Andrea. As a silly Saturday present. I like to give her a little treat now and then,” said Dad.